The Shocking Truth About Fashion Bloggers

30 May

Being a fashion blogger is not as glamorous as people think.

Being a fashion blogger for the past 6 years, I think I am seasoned enough to finally write about what it is all about to be a fashion blogger. Some of you might disagree or surprised to read what I am going to write, but, it is based on my true experience.

1. NOBODY IS WILLING TO SPONSOR US

Most of the items and clothing that we wear in the blog are actually not from sponsors. We bought it with our hard earned money and share it with you because we like it so much. Fashion dealers and fashion brands are way too cautious with their money and clothes, and they just will not sponsor you clothes unless you are willing to do it for free! (Sometimes they don’t even want to sponsor you even if you offer to do it for free.) Some will offer fashion bloggers sponsorship with discount vouchers! Asking for a fashion sponsorship and you are very likely to get NO REPLY because they don’t even bother to reply you at all! So if you are dreaming of becoming a fashion blogger so that you will get a lot of free clothes, just forget it!

2. LOOKING LIKE A COMPLETE IDIOT

Most of the time, when we are trying to take photographs for a new fashion blog entry, we have to dress all up and pose awkwardly in the middle of a busy street or do funny poses. There will be onlookers walking pass and giving us the funny looks. Sometimes, in order to capture the perfect moment, we have to pose for a long time until we heard the sound of the shutter or when the photographer is satisfied with the shoot. On average, 8 pictures will be chosen out of 80 pictures. Although it might seem effortless, but trust me, a fashion blogger needs to endure all the funny looks from the passerby and bear the title of “poser” and “wannabes” to produce the best pictures.

3. WE OFTEN HAVE AN INSTAGRAM HUSBAND/BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND

No fashion blogger can be successful without quality pictures. And (unfortunately) most of us cannot afford a professional photographer. So we turn to our husbands or boyfriends or girlfriends for help to take our seemingly effortless #ootd (outfit of the day) pictures, because they are probably the only one who are willing to do it for FREE! And because not everyone is well-trained in taking good fashion pictures, we tends to train and demand our Instagram Husbands/Boyfriends/Girlfriends to take those “instagram-worthy” pictures. Which, very often ended up in frustration and arguments…

4. PASSION DRIVES US

Many of the fashion bloggers that I know (including myself) choose to become a fashion blogger because we are genuinely in love with fashion, arts and self expression. Although in reality, we do not have our breakfast in bed next to a latest copy of L’Officiel or Vogue magazine, we do love to style and experiment with different outfits and get in touch with the latest fashion trend. It is just something that turns us ON.

5. WE ARE THE WHOLE PACKAGE

When you own a fashion blog, you are the editor, stylist, makeup artist, PR manager, marketing director, customer service and content creator. Fashion bloggers are the among the most creative people I have known. They need to know everything about making a fashion blog successful, from the right photography composition to the superb social skills, to domains, designs and SEOs… the list just go on and on…

Even though being a fashion blogger is not as glam and chic as people might think and it could be quite tiring sometimes, but it has been a wonderful experience for me. I am so grateful that in this new era, technology has allowed ordinary woman like me to share my love for fashion and artistic expression to the world. I have heard a lot of comments by people about how easy it is to create a fashion blog and taking pictures of yourself, but in reality, a lot of works go behind the scene and we fashion bloggers have made it look so “easy” and effortless to you.

If you are a fashion blogger or plan to start a fashion blog, I want you to know that you are not alone. Fashion blogging is not an easy journey, but if you persist, it will be a beautiful experience for you. I do enjoy dressing up and taking fashion photographs. My blog serves as an creative outlet for me to escape my everyday life. And it make me extra happy when readers tell me that they actually enjoy what I have crafted and I really feel satisfied when my work is able to inspire people.

It is always my dream to blog about fashion.

And I am glad that I am doing it.

These pictures were taken at a train station in Kobe. The weather was so fine and I had so much fun posing for these pictures.

And in case you are wondering why all my luggages are black.

Because it matches with any outfits. Haha…

Thank you so much for reading and wishing you a great week ahead!

God bless you.

XOXO Eryn

Advertisements

45 Responses to “The Shocking Truth About Fashion Bloggers”

1. Aidensworld21 May 30, 2017 at 7:32 am #

I love this post so much truth to it. Thanks for sharing.❤❤❤

• Eryn Wong May 30, 2017 at 5:04 pm #

Haha… Let’s encourage one another and make fashion blogging filled with fun and love!

2. anastasiagregory May 30, 2017 at 11:37 am #

Loved this, too true!

• Eryn Wong May 30, 2017 at 5:03 pm #

I know right… Any very often we are being seen as free loader and attention seeker. In fact, deep down inside, we just want to share with people about what we wear.

3. the harmony in our clothes May 30, 2017 at 5:10 pm #

This post was so honest, glad to read something like this 🙂

• Eryn Wong May 30, 2017 at 8:22 pm #

Hi there! Thank you so much for your comment! I am happy that you can relate to that too! Hehe…

4. Janine Nissa May 31, 2017 at 2:49 am #

Your point about feeling ridiculous taking photos is so accurate. It took me ages to stop being so self-conscious about people watching me!

5. thatfirsthello May 31, 2017 at 4:22 am #

thanks for the post 🙂 i’ve been blogging for 3 years almost now and i agree with you on many fronts, keep up the great work, it’s true that passion drives us and thats the way it should be 🙂

• Eryn Wong May 31, 2017 at 8:35 am #

Or else I couldn’t think of other valid reason why we can stay up until 2a.m. to edit pictures… Haha… Thanks for your comment! XOXO

• Eryn Wong May 31, 2017 at 8:38 am #

By the way, you have a great blog there! I love your style and outfits!!

6. Jennifer Brown June 1, 2017 at 7:52 am #

I really enjoyed this post, because it’s so true! All the way down to the Instagram Boyfriend. Honestly thank god the man is a saint, he helps me with all my shoots. As for sponsorship all I’m hearing is ‘ pssh don’t be greedy, dig into your own pockets’. What? I am just asking for the product to review, half the time I’m asking to borrow an outfit to shoot, not even to keep. They get ALL the perks of the deal! After 6 years it seems like you have definitely fought the hard fight =)

Jennifer

• Eryn Wong June 1, 2017 at 9:54 am #

Hahaha~ I am so glad that I wrote this post. Because I always thought I am the only one who never get the sponsors… It seems like all fashion bloggers more or less encounter the same problem! Let’s encourage each other and make this “fashion blogging” a joy-filled experience❤️

• Jennifer Brown June 1, 2017 at 12:00 pm #

I love that idea 🙂 I have always heard it’s best for bloggers to create a circle of just blogger friends. Kind of like a support group, because trying to discuss blogger frustrations with others, a lot of people can’t relate and blow off such issues as nothing. It’s good to have a group who understands where you’re coming from.

7. elizabethstewartann June 16, 2017 at 9:15 pm #

If this isn’t true…. especially getting funny looks on the street! Thanks for sharing.

Much love,

8. Struck With Awe June 17, 2017 at 2:02 am #

Loved this post. I never knew these inside stories as i am just starting. Thank you so much for sharing. And you look great in all the pictures. Love from India 🙂

• Eryn Wong June 22, 2017 at 9:23 pm #

Good luck! It is also fun and exciting on the other hand!

9. avainlife July 9, 2017 at 11:14 pm #

Hi Eryn! Thank you for this article. I love fashion, photography, writing and modeling. I’m just starting out but am very passionate about this. You have one life…go for it!

• Eryn Wong July 11, 2017 at 7:28 pm #

Thank you so much for the comment! It’s good to do something you love 🙂 All the best!!! XOXO

10. brownkittycat July 15, 2017 at 4:19 pm #

I can’t agree more with what you said. I feel like giving up after a few months already > <

• Eryn Wong July 18, 2017 at 11:15 am #

No matter how crap you feel, always get up, dress up, show up and never give up!!

11. whiteteetalks July 20, 2017 at 8:40 am #

Such an honest article, I loved it. I just started my new blog and I am trying to stick with it because I let go of my old one. Again, wonderful post!

Arya singh
    blogger

• Eryn Wong July 22, 2017 at 7:36 pm #

Thanks for your kind comment! Keep up the good work! I will visit your blog too!!

12. Felicity George July 26, 2017 at 8:27 pm #

Loved reading this post! it was reallyinsightful as i just posted my first post yesterday and had my first experience of taking the awkard photo’s.

• Eryn Wong July 27, 2017 at 2:32 am #

I know right! But the more you do it, the more natural it would be 🙂 Keep it up!

13. Thriftedluxe.com August 5, 2017 at 6:12 pm #

I’m a pretty new fashion blogger, so this gave me some insight. I already knew I wasn’t going to get a sponsorship because nearly everything in my looks is secondhand. What company would sponser someone who doesn’t buy their stuff new anyway?
    But yeah, lots of truth to this. I’m not afraid of looking goofy in public, however, because after vlogging for a month straight, I’ve learned most people don’t care. 🙂
    It might just be a thing where I live, but hey, I’ll enjoy that since I have it.

14. fashionfreakdiaries August 24, 2017 at 1:37 pm #

Awesome content…i truely appreciate💕
    Check out my blogs. These are all about the cost effective fashion and beauty tips. Hope you like it 😊

15. Jenn August 25, 2017 at 10:03 pm #

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS! You nailed what it means to be a fashion blogger. But we do it because we love it 🙂 (Also, LOVE your pictures. Whoever your Instagram husband/boyfriend/girlfriend is does a great job.) You have such great style!

Check out my blog when you get a chance! http://www.jennsfashion.com

16. Fashion By Deborah September 8, 2017 at 9:45 pm #

Loove this! I am a pretty new fashion blogger,and I really find this helpful. Check out my blog when you get a chance! 🙂 https://fashionbydeborah.wordpress.com/

17. Fashion By Deborah September 8, 2017 at 9:46 pm #

Love this ! I am a pretty new fashion blogger and I find this very helpful. Thanks! Check out my blog when you get a chance! 🙂 https://fashionbydeborah.wordpress.com/

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [Fashion] Embroidered Dress X Pink Bamboo Shopper Bag | Millionmars - June 23, 2017

[…] Kobe: Train Station Fashion Shoots […]

2. 9 Travel Tips For Lazy Girls | Millionmars - July 2, 2017

[…] Kobe: Train Station Fashion Shoots […]

3. Let’s Meeting Up With Old Friends Again! | Millionmars - August 20, 2017

[…] Kobe: Train Station Fashion Shoots […]

4. [Travel] Tsukiji Fish Market: Red Blouse X Navy Blue Skirt | Millionmars - August 20, 2017

[…] outfit combo is casual and bold at the same time. I pair it with an over-sized coat featured in The Shocking Truth About Fashion Bloggers and a pair of black ankle […]

5. How To Make Blogging Work For You? | Millionmars - September 22, 2017